Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Next Revolution: A 21st Century Job Market

As a Cal Berkeley student, it is with a mixed conscious that I celebrate the great mind of a Stanford scholar, but as an inquisitive spirit, it is necessary that I recognize a revolutionary thinker. Steve Jurvetson, managing director of Draper Fisher Jurvetson, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm, has one of those minds.
As part of our i4j series (Innovation for Jobs), Jurvetson applies his futuristic thinking to the question of what the job market may begin to look like, with continuing advancement in technology and science. He does not fear change, instead he is excited by it. He presents a scenario in which people and governments embrace progressing times, and adapt conceptions of “living” to fit into a new world.


In this video, Jurvetson’s passion and excitement for technology is apparent. He highlights the importance of looking long, and accepting fundamental change as a benefit for the future of civil society.  Certain points he highlights, such as the inevitably changing formal definition of what it means to “have a job”, resonate heavily in my life, and the lives of other American students.
As I pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, and spend countless hours sitting in crowded lecture halls, I am constantly reminded of the reason for my doing so—my parents repeat: “school, career, family, etc etc”. For the first time, I am beginning to question the legitimacy of this reason. Jurvetson helps me see: the path on which I have projected myself for years, may not be as clear or straight as it may have seemed originally, and it is my, our society’s job, to learn to navigate the new terrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment